Sunday, August 17, 2014

PTSD - Calling people on the phone -- or not.

Recently I have decided to try and right one of my wrongs. I have a cell phone glued to my body 16 hours a day or am in front of a computer when I'm not with my phone. I run multiple Twitter accounts, a few YouTube channels, a couple of Twitch channels, and 7 blogs. I somehow cannot manage to pick up a phone and call my relatives.

It must be an anxiety related issue. Because my wife literally has to call someone for me. She will pick up the phone and dial the number and put it on speaker phone. Then once they answer I am okay.

I really miss my Grandma. She is living the retired life in Florida and she is alone. When I was a kid, like 3 and 4 years old, we lived with her and my Poppop (Grandfather) in Colorado on their ranch. It was one of the few times of my childhood that I have super fond memories of. I learned how to play chess there, how to ride a horse, how to read, how to eat all my supper... it was just a healthy, happy place.

Even though I care so much for her and love her so much, I find myself physically unable to pick up the phone and call. My wife is very supportive of my PTSD and I suggested that each Sunday she set a reminder to call my Grandma and we stand around the counter with the kids and talk to her on speaker phone. She agreed and for two weeks know we have called and said hello. We don't talk about anything really important (which is another thing that drives me crazy -- I get frustrated when there is no point to the conversation) but I am happy to speak to her and she sounds very happy to hear from us.

The girls get to hear her voice and learn from her and she tells us stories about me when I was growing up. I hope to extend this project to my mother and father and other friends in the future. But, for now, I will stick to the small steps and keep calling Grandma.

See you soon -- Love you.

Bruno

No comments:

Post a Comment