Thursday, March 10, 2011

People are so Jaded.

I call people about Fire Safety programs.

When people answer I tell them who I represent. I can't get the word FIRE FIGHTER out of my mouth and they are poor mouthing and hangning up.

Has capitalism ruined how people feel about their public servants? These programs help save lives in their LOCAL community, their very own zip codes.

Is it greed? I served in the Marine Corps for 4 years and was awarded a Combat Action Ribbon while serving in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I remember the day I came home to North Carolina. I went to McDonalds to eat some Fast Food. Something I had not had in 6 months and sorely missed having access to.

There was this lady in front of me at the counter. She was complaining about her burger being made incorrectly. She wasn't being very nice to the young lady who was taking her complaints and working the register.

I turned the lady around and said, "Ma'am did she make your buger?" She said, "No, But..." and I interrupted her. I said, "Ma'am, are you perfect?" She immediately said, "No, but..." and I interrupted her again. I said, "Neither is she, and the person who made your burger isn't perfect either. Now, I understand how frustrating it is to get bad service. I just came from a place where people had no water, food, electricity, plumbing, or even certainty of a safe place to sleep at night. I have been craving American Fast Food for 6 months. The way to handle this situation correctly is this way:".

I took the sandwich from her hand and placed it on the counter. I asked the young lady to get the guy who made the hamburger. He came out and I asked him politely to please make a new hamburger without the ketchup and he did so immediately. And even smiled when he gave the new burger to the lady.

She was very embarrassed but I think I made a life long impression. Or at least I hope I did. I wish that I could make these impressions on everyone I meet. But, unfortunately, my courage level isn't that high every day, nor is my patience that low.

Joshua Brunhoff
Family Man

No comments:

Post a Comment